Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Tribute to Oscar the pug

Yesterday we had to do one of the hardest things. We had to put down our Oscar. He was only 6 years old (42 in doggy years) but was very sick. About three years ago while up at our cabin Oscar had swallowed a fish hook disguised with Velveeta cheese. It had snagged deep in his esophagus and we were prepared to put him down then since we couldn't pay the $2500 for the surgery to remove and fix it. But to our surprise an anonymous philanthropist dog lover offered to pay for it. After the surgery, however Oscar developed what the vet thought was food allergies. He started itching and losing his hair and just continued to get worse. We lived in housing where dogs were not allowed during most of this, but Alex's parents had taken Oscar in. We tried medication after medication and during this last year he grew exceptionally worse. We moved and were able to take him back these last 5 months and it broke my heart to see him. He would stay in bed all day except to reluctantly eat his food and go outside. In the last month he got so bad that if I didn't give him a shower every single day his chest and belly which was hairless would get a blackish brown slim on it and he would itch until he bled, to say nothing of the smell. Finally I took him to the vet again and the vet told us that there was nothing else she could give him. He was immune to all traditional medications. She assumed that he had gotten a staff infection during his surgery three years previous and it had wreaked havoc on his system. We tried to find another philanthropist group that would donate money to help him, but they also agreed with the vet that the chances of him recovering was just too slim.
It was a rainy day, which adequately reflected our feelings yesterday. I made it into the building, but had to let Alex take it from there while I sat in the car. When we told the kids that Oscar was too sick and couldn't get better and that he had died. Tate asked a lot of questions. I assured him that Heavenly Father has a special place in heaven for animals especially good dogs like Oscar. He nodded in understanding, but other than that didn't show much emotion. Allie happily exclaimed that Oscar was happy now and that he didn't itch or feel sick anymore.
It wasn't until Tate saw Oscar's empty bed in his room that he really understood and broke down crying saying over and over again "I want Oscar". It was a horrible day, but Allie was right. Oscar is happy now and feeling much better.
Tate misses his best buddy, Alex and I miss my first baby, and Allie misses her puppy. He was a big part of mine and Alex's life since we've been married and he will always be part of our family.

Love you pug a lug.

4 comments:

Mark and Dannielle said...

Oh, I am so sorry! I know how much doggies can mean to the family. That is such a hard thing! Our thoughts are with you and the kids.

MiCheLLe HeidEmaN said...

sad poor smelly oscar:( i am glad the kids got to live with him again for a little bit before you had to put him down! what a very hard thing to explain to little kids! hope you are all ok

Lindsay said...

Sad! I am so sorry to hear of Oscar's passing. He is such a sweet looking dog.

Jarom said...

So Sad. I really am so sorry. But I think you are dead on when you talk about a special place in heaven for our special animal family. I really think that one day, if you want, he can continue to be a part of your family. But that's just me...

And I've already developed quite an eternal animal family! :-)