Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Desparate mom seeking potty training advice!

Hey all you mom's out there who would consider yourselves in-the-know on potty training, I need your advice because I'm obviously not very good at this! I need some input on what worked for your girls to get them potty trained.
Allie is so stubborn! She'll tell me either after she's already gone or just not tell me at all. If I do have her on the potty, unless I'm sitting right there with her, she'll actually get off the potty and go take a dump somewhere else (like in my closet! Yeah!)
We're going through more pull ups than we ever did diapers, because she can't stand the feeling of being wet. I know I can use that to my advantage, but whatever I'm doing is not working. So please help!

6 comments:

melissa said...

well... we tried this 3 day potty training program and actually really works, It tells you to get some panties and have the kid "throw away" their diapers (we didn't do that) and then for the training days you just put them in panties, no pants and give them LOTS to drink(more "training" ops). Then basically you try to stay with them ALL the time and constantly ask if their panties are dry and have them check and if you notice they pee, even if it's too late you run them to the potty and have them sit, if they go some in the potty you give them a treat or a sticker etc and get SUPER excited. Wow... that was long, but it worked for us, I think it teaches them faster on how to know when they have to go to the bathroom. The first day it doesn't seem like your getting anywhere and then all of a sudden on the 2nd or third day they just start to get it and the accidents get less and less.

Jarom said...

Honestly, my advice is to give it up for a while! Knowing Allie a little bit, I think she's probably just using this whole thing as a power struggle and she's winning! We had to give Mason a few extra months before he was really ready. Save yourself the frustration and just put her back in diapers (which are cheaper than pull-ups anyway). If she wants her panties, tell her that she can't have them until she learns to keep her diaper dry and then don't give in!!! But, she's still so young; plenty of time to figure it all out!

The Capitans said...

I would suggest no pull-ups in my oppinion they just treat them as diapers. Just go strait to underwear. You will have to stay close to her all day for a couple days and everytime you see her going run her to the bathroom. It works. I also think you have to wait until they are ready or its pointless. So good luck.

Erin said...

I wish I had some advice, but I really don't. Maybe she isn't totally ready yet. I kind of gave up with Ammon and then he was ready once I wasn't making it such a big deal. Every kid is different and each one is HARD... I HATE POTTY TRAINING! Good luck!

S L said...

Cloth training pants might work if she really doesn't like being wet. There are all sorts of cloth diapers that have waterproof layers on the outside, and while it adds a little laundry, you won't feel as if you're wasting your money on pull-ups/diapers.

By the way, this is Alex's cousin Ethan's wife... we met a few years ago when we visited out there. :) I saw your blog on Alex's facebook page.

Julie Hatch said...

M
Oh my gosh! I can't believe your little one she is so funny. Chloe was didn't like the feeling of being wet either. So.. I though it was a good time for her to start training... she was trained in a week. (sorry I know that's not what you want to hear) I do agree with not using pull-ups. Maybe she isn't ready. Oh another thing my mother-in-law told me is to make them clean up the potty (putting dirty panties in the dirty clothes getting news one..etc. ) It is hard but you need to stick with it if you think she is ready. It was so good to hear from you guys. Hope all is well. Julie