Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Belated Easter Greetings!

 Easter is one of my favorite holidays (right after Christmas).  I really try to talk to my kids about the true meaning of Easter.  Like Christmas, it's real meaning has been distorted and commercialized in order to sell more chocolate and unnecessary toys (although they did get a little of each...but that's besides the point).  When asked by their uncle what Easter was about, Tate and Allie both replied, "the resurrection!"  We had spent a lot of time talking about the significants of what that meant.
 
One night while telling them the adventures of Princess Rose and Prince Alexander (my own stories which represent Tate and Allie and, though set in the fictitious, magical kingdom of Cornwall, I try to correlate events of the day or upcoming activities into their adventure and sometimes teach a moral or lesson).  Anyway, I talked to them about that night thousands of years ago when our Savior, Jesus Christ  was betrayed by friends and taken by wicked men who just didn't understand who He truly was.  I tried to explain, in the most gentle way I could what it meant to be crucified.  And that after all that Jesus wasn't angry with those who had been so cruel to him.  He asked His Father in heaven to forgive them.

Allie was very concerned and a little upset at this point as to why anyone would be so mean.  But then I told them about why He had allowed all those bad things to happen.  It was for us.  He did it all for us! Because on Sunday morning the stone was rolled away and Jesus was resurrected, body and spirit reunited for eternity in perfection.  That is, all except for the marks in his hands, feet and side.  That way, I told them, when he comes again everyone will know exactly who he is.
 I am so grateful to my Savior for accomplishing His mission.  Without Him, I would never be with my family forever.  The very thought makes my heart break.  What a miraculous and loving Father in Heaven who would love and trust me enough to send me these beautiful children and then to offer me eternity with them and my sweet husband.  And all we have to do is follow the example of the One who made it all possible.

No comments: