Saturday, March 13, 2010

Meet Milo

My kids (but mostly my husband) have been bugging me about getting another dog since we had to put down Oscar. My constant response was a resounding NO! I am having a baby in 6 weeks and cannot take care of or train a dog. Finally this morning Alex of all people would not stop talking about how much Tate needed the responsibility and how his fondest memories of growing up was with his dog and on and on. Total guilt trip! So I compromised. I said that we could consider getting a dog but only if it was a small dog that did not shed, was already housebroken and good with kids. I even threw in there that it had to be a boy dog since it would be Tate's and that it would have to be cheap. I figured we'd never find a dog that met that criteria for the price I was thinking and that I would be safe for at least another year.

So we spent the morning going to "petting zoos" letting the kids look at all the animals at Sue's pet palace and the pound. I was sure I had won when Alex said we should go to Petco really quick before heading home. And what did we find when we walked in? A male Jack Russell Terrier, which doesn't shed, is a small dog, 5 years old, already housebroken and was sent to the shelter because his owners were moving. He is vaccinated and nudered and only 30 bucks! The woman went on and on about how great he is with kids and other dogs and his only down fall is that if he gets loose, he runs. Great!


So we have a dog. (Sorry it's turned). He's actually really good and very mellow. He does like to beg for food and thinks the couch belongs to him, but I have to admit he's really cute and my husband and son are very happy boys. And the moral of the story is: hold your ground until after the baby is born or you'll get exactly what you ask for at exactly the time you don't want it!
J/K His first day here he was great so hopefully he just kind of fits right in and it turns out to be not a big deal at all.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow you are one brave girl! :-)

melissa said...

he is pretty cute. I'm glad that was a dog's name haha!

Dave and Natasha said...

Cute, he looks like my mom's dog. We had a JRT right before moving into the PV townhomes, they are fun dogs, but yes, they do like to run if they get the chance!!! They are a bit stubborn, but learn quickly. I hope he's a good dog!

Oh, and how does he not shed? JRT still shed, but the wire haired ones just don't shed quite as much as short haired.

Clenece said...

How fun! He's cute! Good luck.

Melissa said...

according to online and petco as long as you bathe and brush him regularly he'll only shed as much as humans do. That had better be true or I will not be happy!