Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The ants go marching...by the hundreds!!!

So a couple weeks ago I had gone over to Dan, the manager of our townhomes and informed him that we had some ants that kept showing up on my kitchen counter every morning. Since the day we moved in there have been mounds of ant hills in the back yard, but they've only attempted to come inside once.

Well this morning I went to the cupboard to get the kids some snacks and when I opened it, to my horror, the shelves were wiggling with little black ants. I bolsterously conveyed my disgust at their audacity to intrude upon my cupboard space, but more so upon my FOOD! They were inside boxes of unopened granola bars, inside the bread bag, in the salt shaker, EVERYWHERE! I quickly started pulling things out and began shaking, pounding, squashing everything that moved. But with each item I attempted to save from the squirming shelves, it only revealed more of the tiny little monster.

I didn't have any bug spray so I resorted to Mr. Clean to take care of my dirty work. After a long fight and at the expense of some banana chips and a half a loaf of bread I finally got all the tiny demons out of my kitchen, but they retaliated because when I went into the bathroom there was an army marching from the window above the shower, around the toilet and under the sink. Luckily I happened to see Dan walking by outside and ran out to tell him to send reinforcements.

The bug guy came a couple hours later and thoroughly fumigated the house and surounding areas with pesticides. I'm still finding ants here and there, but they don't look too healthy. Victory! But sweet Tayden told me as I was celebrating the demise of our unwelcomed visitors that I should just let the ants live cause their black ants not red ants so that means they're nice. I quickly told him that may be so, but no bug in any house I live in will survive if I catch them trying to have a picnic in my cupboards!

2 comments:

MiCheLLe HeidEmaN said...

amen... at least you got it taken care of asap, it took two weeks for dan to get the bug guy to my house:( by that point they were in my kitchen bathrooms laundry and hall closets. i had never been so grossed out! i hate ants!

Dave and Natasha said...

We've had problems in our house too! I took it upon myself to spray and that didn't do a thing to them! Last year when we sprayed with that stuff we didn't see another ant for a year! Now I've gotten them more under control, but now they've made a home in my dishwasher! I've even made it a point to wash all the dishes before putting them in there, but they still hang out in there- even after washing the dishes- you'd think the dishwasher would be clean after a load and they wouldn't be in there... I don't know! I hate them too though!